Thursday, March 25, 2010

I Think I Can....

The focus of Chase and Tristan's studies last week revolved around "The Little Engine That Could".  I'm sure many of us are familiar with the story which goes something like this:  A stranded train is unable to find an engine willing to take it on over difficult terrain to its destination. Only the little blue engine is willing to try, and while repeating the mantra "I think I can, I think I can" overcomes a seemingly impossible task.

The book is used to teach children the value of optimism and hard work and I think it's wonderful that they're teaching this in kindergarten 'cause it's never too early, right?  So Tristan's favorite word all week has been "preserverence".  What a big word for a 6 year old!!  I was quite surprised to hear him not only say the word, but also to explain what it means, kind of along the lines of, "Mommy, don't ever give up. You have to just keep trying. That's what preserverence means."  WOW.  I think we can all use this reminder from time to time.... to just keep on trying, no matter how tough things are.

Thanks for the life lesson my darling son!

1 comment: